Thursday, February 11, 2010

Spiral Hex

I hate changing colors so much I did this to make a two color hex… It is a bit awkward to get started, switching back and forth but once you get a few rows in it is mindless to create. I must say it worked out really cool.

Gauge and needle does not matter. I used an I hook with 1 skien each color of Caron Simply soft. I have not tried with a small hook, and I am not sure how that would work out since you need some stretch-ability for the beginning rounds to lay flat.

Edited 11/10 to add: I made one with a bulky yarn (Lion Brand Homespun) and used an N hook. Worked real well and came out cute.

With color A:
Ch 4 and join with a ss in first ch making a base loop.
Ch3.
Working in the loop (dc, ch1, dc). Drop color A (pull loop really large so it is not lost and you can easily pick it backup again)

Attach Color B with a ss in base loop. Working in the same direction (counter clockwise) Ch 3, dc, ch1, dc in loop.

Working in rounds: Working around ch3 post of color A (Ch 1 Dc, ch1, dc), dc in top of first color A dc of last row, (dc ch1,dc) in next ch space of last row. Drop Color B

Pick up Color A: Working around ch3 post of color B (Ch 1 Dc, ch1, dc), dc in top of first color B dc of last row, (dc, ch1, dc) in next ch space of last row, dc in top of next dc of last row, (dc, ch1, dc) in ch space of last row, dc in next dc of last row, (dc, ch1, dc) in next chain space, dc in each of the next 3dc of last row, (dc ch1 dc) in top of next ch space of last row. Drop color A

Pick up color B: Dc in top of next dc of last row, (dc, ch1, dc) in ch space of last row, dc in next dc of last row, (dc, ch1, dc) in next chain space, dc in each of the next 3dc of last row, (dc ch1 dc) in top of next ch space. Continue working in pattern, dc in top of last color rows dc, and (dc, ch1, dc) in each chain space. Drop colors and pick up as you work each round.

Keep going working in pattern and it quickly starts to look like a hexagon with more defined turns and sides. Make it as big as you want.

To finish I ended by stopping with 1 dc in a ch space color A. Then I ended with color B ½ way around the hexagon (3 ch spaces past where color A ended.)


12 comments:

Molly said...

Hi, I am on the #15 granny square swap on Ravelry so I thought i would check out some blogs. I like your blanket, the 2 colors are very bright and cheery. I signed up as a follower, when you have time come by my blog and check mine out. Take care

Crocheting My Best With My Worsted
http://crochetingmyworsted.blogspot.com

Lisa said...

that's a brilliant way to avoid colour changes with the yarn!! This is totally in my queue for the next baby that comes along!

Little Lisa said...

This intrigued me but I have a few questions. How many skiens of each color did you use and about how big should it be made?

Thanks!

Pam said...

1 skien of each color. I will add it to the directions. Thanks for pointing that out!

Pam said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ursula said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ursula said...

I have a question: I feel I can't count: the second round with color B seems to have something missing (or maybe it's second A and the mistake continues in round B2)? there should be 6 Ch1 in the end that are making the corners eventually but I feel the last long side (has 5DC in row 2) seems to long? not sure if that makes any sense.. :S (I started over 4 times now)

Ursula said...

ok, I think I figured it out. I used 6 stich marker for the first 3 rounds to figure out how to make 6 CH1 (where they are exactly). that helped! yay! Love the pattern :)

Rachel Donnelly said...

I love this pattern. I might also try using it for a rug.

Unknown said...

You should really make a video of this. I have tried almost ten times and I can't get the hang of it.

Anonymous said...

Most confusing project I have ever started.... but it was so worth it when I finally managed it!
Lovely pattern, thank you so very much.

Tip: If you are getting confused (like I was) you need to find a way of marking the chains. I just ended up using six pieces of different coloured wool. Once you get a few lines under way its pretty easy to carry on :)

boyita said...

Okay, I marked the ch1s without incident. My big question is on the "dc in each of the next 3 dc of the last row." Am I dc with color A on the original A? For some reason, I didn't end up with any extra dcs to dc into. Also, do these 3 dc begin the "flat" sides of the hexagon? Maybe I'm missing something obvious... ?